Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Insights Gained

What other significant insight(s) have you gained 

and how will this insight impact your personal/professional life?



When my sister and I were younger, we would always play house. Although her occupation shifted, I was always the teacher. For my entire life, my career passion has always been educating elementary students; however, it was not until this semester when I discovered my true reason for becoming an educator. I want to be an elementary teacher working primarily with English Language Learners. I came to this decision throughout the duration of this semester within this class, Multicultural Education as well as my ELL class. I feel almost ignorant for never acknowledging such a need. ELLs have the upmost potential to exceed their goals but their language acquisition is preventive of their 'higher educational learning'. I've always preached the importance of tailoring lessons to the needs of your students, but there is such a low interest in educators who don't want to 'deal' with accomplishing both language and content objectives. We are a growing nation consumed of cultures to wrap the world and back. Embracing cultural differences within a classroom is such a rich theory which should have been introduced decades ago. Education has come a long way from ignorance to acceptance, and I could not be more thrilled to be part of the movement to raising the potential of ELLs throughout the nation. Multicultural Education and my ELL class have changed not only my personal passion, but career choice, and I cannot be more proud of it. I know this is so cheesy, but thank you for opening my eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment